Baglan bounce back in style with 11-goal rout

GOYTRE United ran out 2-0 winners over Cwmavon FC B in a Port Talbot League Open Cup game.

After early pressure Goytre settled into their game as solid midfield play and pace up front helped them to a 2-0 half-time lead.

The second half was tighter with both teams missing chances, but Goytre saw the game through.

Porthcawl Athletic A saw off Port Talbot Tigers B 4-0.

Main image for Life Gym

If you join Life Gym on our £19.99 all inclusive membership package before 31 December 2013, we’ll give you one full month’s membership completely free AND you pay no joining fee. Quote EP01

Offer applies only to new members signing up to £19.99 monthly contract.

Contact: 01792 343956

Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013

Porthcawl edged a goal in front during a slow first half but scored three more in the second half and could have added more.

Baglan looked to put the disappointment of the last few games behind them by delivering a strong performance against Porthcawl — and they did so in spectacular fashion with an 11-0 win.

A lightning start saw them go 3-0 up in the first ten minutes.

The scoreline reflected a fine performance, as Baglan built well from the back with good movement and slick passing and also pressed Porthcawl when they didn’t have the ball.

They continued to dominate in the second half, with the pick of the goals a 40-yard chip from Luke Duggan.

The result of the day by far was Margam’s thrilling 7-6 extra-time cup win against first division Port Talbot Tigers.

Despite letting a 4-1 lead slip, Margam showed great guts and character to get back on top with the Tigers leading 6-5 in extra time.

They fought back to equalise and Josh Nash smashed home the winner late in extra time.

The other Margam scorers were Gavin Bond (four), Sam Harris and Mike Lewis.

In the Premier division, Newton Wanderers beat Gwynfi United 1-0.

Newton took the lead midway through the first half with a fine solo goal. Midway through the second half Newton were reduced to nine men, but they held on.

Fairfield Wednesday slipped up 3-2 at home to Croeserw Athletic.

Croeserw took the lead in a first half of few chances with a goal from close range.

Fairfield got back into the game early in the second half when Gavin Andrews equalised, but Croeserw restored their lead and quickly added a third.

Bradley James pulled a goal back late on, but Croeserw held on for the three points.

Cornelly United and Afan Lido shared a 1-1 draw in the reserve division.

Lido started off the game at great pace, setting a tempo that would continue throughout this entertaining match.

They went ahead thanks to a close-range finish on 25 minutes after a defensive mix-up.

Cornelly played some good possession football in the second half and were rewarded with a well-taken Michael Forrester goal on 70 minutes.

Cornelly were reduced to ten men but held out for a draw, which was not a bad result considering Lido won the reverse fixture 4-1.

Article source: