Banned driver’s 100mph chase through Pyle, Porthcawl and Port Talbot ended by police ‘stinger’

A DISQUALIFIED driver with a “penchant” for cars who led police on a 100mph chase through Pyle, Porthcawl and Port Talbot — racing through red lights and taking bends on the wrong side of the road — has been sent to jail.

Jay Clement’s Clio was eventually stopped by a “stinger” device and boxed in by pursuing police at the roundabout outside Tata steelworks.

READ MORE: Dramatic footage shows police chase a speeding driver through residential streets

Swansea Crown Court heard the 24-year-old had multiple convictions for driving while disqualified as well as for aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving while unfit through drink or drugs, and taking vehicles without consent.

Ian Ibrahim, for the prosecution, said that in the early hours of September 16 a roads policing officer was parked at the Margam roundabout of the M4 when a silver Renault Clio sped passed him and along the A48.

The officer began to follow him, and a chase ensued, with Clement topping 100mph as he raced towards Pyle.

READ MORE: Jail for Port Talbot pair who targeted university student on train

The court heard he went through a red light at Pyle Cross and turned right onto Marlas Road, racing towards the Kenfig Nature Reserve — where he overtook a car at speeds in excess of 70mph — and into the Nottage area of Porthcawl, where he tore through the residential streets at 60mph, twice the speed limit.

BELOW: Another police pursuit in Swansea which took place in December.

He then headed back towards Port Talbot, picking up the A48 near Margam Park, rounding the M4 roundabout and driving along Harbour Way — where police were waiting for him.

A “stinger” device was used to puncture the front tyres of the car, and further police vehicles joined the pursuit, boxing-in the Clio — which was now running on its rims on the front wheels — at the Tata roundabout.

READ MORE: Man arrested after armed police called to incident in Waun Wen

Clement and his two male passengers were arrested after a brief foot-chase.

Clement, of Trefelin Crescent, Port Talbot, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and to driving while disqualified when he appeared in the dock of Swansea Crown Court.

The court heard the defendant had 22 convictions for 54 offences including for aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving while unfit through drink or drugs, taking vehicles without consent, and multiple driving while disqualifieds and driving with no insurance, as well as for theft and drugs matters.

James McKenna, for Clement, said his client was driving a friend home to Bridgend on the night in question when he encountered the police and “reverted to type”.

The advocate conceded it had been a “a prolonged period of poor driving”, adding that his client had a “penchant” for motor vehicles.

Judge Geraint Walters told Clement he had driven at “vastly excessive speeds” in an “appalling” episode of driving.

He said: “You could so easily have maimed or killed somebody that night — if not an innocent member of the public, then the other two people who were in that vehicle with you.”

Need to grow up

“The courts are familiar with boy racer-types but you are a 24-year-old father — what a role model.”

The judge said the public might be surprised to know that the maximum sentence for dangerous driving was two years — and that he had long believed that term needed to be increased.

For dangerous driving he sentenced Clement to 12 months, and for driving while disqualified to four months, both sentences to run consecutively, making a total of 16 months. The judge also further disqualified him from driving for three years, the ban to start when he is released from prison.

Jason Evans / jason.evans@swwmedia.co.uk / @EvansTheCrime

Article source: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/banned-driver-s-100mph-chase-through-pyle-porthcawl-and-port-talbot-ended-by-police-stinger/story-30036785-detail/story.html