Corries and Welfare fail to take advantage at the top

With Division One leaders Cornelly United without a game it was a chance for the clubs to close the gap on them.

Second-placed Brecon Corries suffered an odd goal in three defeat at Porthcawl Town Athletic who have moved up to seventh place. Porthcawl opened the scoring through Gareth Duffy with a penalty. Brecon equalised through Brian Keddle. In the second half, the important goal was scored by Porthcawl’s Andrew Bowden.

Third-placed Cwm Welfare went down by the odd goal in five at Grange Albions, lifting Grange into second position. Cwm led at the interval by the only goal scored by Gareth Lloyd who also scored Cwm’s second. Grange scorers in the second half were Sean Kennedy twice, both penalties and sub Liam Beattie.

Penydarren BGC gained an 8-1 win over visitors Lewistown after being five up at the break. Asa Lloyd and Christopher Colvin Owens scoring twice with Scott Reynolds, Adam Lewis, Joshua Brogden and Nathan Williams adding the others.

Struggling Cogan Coronation picked up a valuable three points in an odd goal in three win against Cwmbach Royal Stars. Cogan led at the interval through a Daniel Humphries goal. In the second half, Cwmbach drew level through Christian Williams. With five minutes left, Kieron James hit the winner for Cogan.

Pontlottyn also picked up three vital points in a 5-3 win over AFC Butetown.

Pontlottyn took an early lead only to see Butetown 2-1 up at the break. In the second half Pontlottyn scored three times to lead 4-2. Butetown made it 4-3 before Pontlottyn added a fifth. For Pontlottyn, Niki Colbourne twice, Dorian Cook, Arran Elias and Mark Powell scored with Butetown replying through Mahamood Farah, Adan Mohammed and Yannick Neba.

The Ynyshir Albion game against Fochriw was abandoned after a player broke his leg early in the game.

In the second division, leaders Max United gained an odd goal in three win against lowly Garw SBGC. Max led through a Shay Everson volley. Garw drew level only to see Shay Everson score again, this time from a free-kick.

Llanrumney United move into second position following their 4-2 win against lowly St Josephs. Llanrumney’s Robert Bartlett scored twice, plus Issac Kahar and Daniel Ford with the Saints replying through Gareth Coleman and Rhys Griffiths.

AFC Whitchurch slip to third following their 1-0 defeat at Tonyrefail BGC. Jason Smith scored the only goal after 30 minutes.

Bottom-of-the-table Stanleytown went down by three goals at Margam Youth Centre. Christopher Bond twice and Steven Gibbons the scorers.

Cadoxton Barry went down at home by the odd goal in three against Penrhiwceiber Cons Ath, all the goals coming in the first half. Rhodri Morgan for Cadoxton, Barry and Daniel Owen twice for Penrhiwceiber.

Tongwynlais moved out of the bottom three following their odd goal in three win over St Albans.

Ton scored twice in the first half through Tom O’Brien and Louis Fishlock. The Buns dominated the second half but all they had to show for their efforts was a Robert Williams goal.

Sporting Marvels defeated Penrhiwfer by the only goal of the game scored by Ian Smith.

In the FAW Trophy Sully Sports went out 5-4 after extra time at Treowen Stars after playing 90 minutes with ten players.

Alex Long scored a hattrick and Dan Lawler netting one.

Article source: