Daring rescue as scores stranded in freak Welsh flooding

Military helicopters, coastguard lifeboats and fire crews helped stranded
holidaymakers in a large-scale rescue operation after water swept through
caravan parks and villages near Aberystwyth.

Three people were airlifted by Royal Air Force Sea King helicopters from the
Riverside Caravan Park in Llandre and dozens took shelter in a community
centre in Talybont.

Fire service rescue boats and vehicles joined inshore lifeboats to help
stranded people escape the caravan park.

Residents remain trapped in buildings but emergency rescue teams have hit the
area with inflatables and continue to evacuate people.

Lifeboats were dispatched to stranded holidaymakes

One RNLI rescue crew even required airlifting themselves from the torrents of
water after becoming stranded during rescue attempts.

A Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said there was “a large
amount of water and a heavy current running through the caravan park” after
the Reheidol river burst its banks.

Click here to download the latest flash player.

WATER gathered pace down mountain, causing horror after days of constant rain

Fire and rescue emergency services were called at 3am and dispatched around 75
fire service personnel, 15 fire appliances and “three or four” fire boats,
the spokesman added.

floods in Wales footage

Local residents have resorted to sheltering in secure community buildings and
local pubs.

Nearby Mill House Caravan Park at Dol-y-Bont was also flooded and around a
dozen people needed rescuing.

Pat Edwards, 56, whose partner runs Mill House Caravan Park, said they had not
seen flooding like it in 50 years.

But she added that three groups of guests staying at the site had decided to
stick the extreme weather out.

Flooding in West Wales,

She said: “The helicopter has come over and offered to rescue us.

“We’ve got an escape route planned if necessary, if we need to we can climb up
the bank and get picked up by the helicopter.”

The downstairs of Pat’s house was flooded with about 8in of water which was
now retreating.

Chief Inspector Robin Mason of Dyfed Powys Police said: “When caravan parks
have about 2ft of water, people have been able to make their own way in an
orderly manner. Since dawn, a lot of people have decided to leave by their
own accord.”

Huge waves break over the lighthouse at Porthcawl seafront in South Wales

About 4-5ft of water was flowing rapidly through the main street in Talybont,
where about 30 people were sheltering in the community hall and a pub after
being rescued.

Twenty five more properties were yet to be evacuated.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said Milford Haven Coastguard and Borth
RNLI inshore lifeboat had been drafted in by police to assist rescue

Article source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4363699/Daring-rescue-as-scores-stranded-in-freak-Welsh-flooding.html