Emphatic win sees Seaweeds reach last 16 of Bowl | News | The …

Monday, 11 December 2017

By Contributed Item
in Rugby

Following a few weeks without rugby due to the autumn series, in an historic first match between the sides in the fourth round of the WRU Bowl, Porthcawl pulled away to an emphatic win against Trimsaran, making the last 16 for the first time.

The final score might suggest an easy match for the Seaweeds, however Trimsaran made a real fist of things in the first half as they held Porthcawl with a committed display that belied their poor league form.

Tom Matthews got the home side off to a good start as he dived over for a try, with Ben Thomas’ conversion hitting the post.

Trimsaran were good value as they fought tooth and nail for every ball and their success around the breakdown saw them slip into the lead with two penalties in 10 minutes, with the penalty count well in their favour.

When they again won the verdict for home transgression at a ruck for their third penalty and 5-9, it looked like there could be a hard second half in store for Porthcawl.

However, the second spell started much better as first of all Seaweeds prop Matt Cooke produced a sidestepping run and superb dummy to break the line, only for Leon McNally to uncharacteristically knock on.

Then a superb break through the middle by flanker Owen Thomas made the try for fellow back-rower Ben Asprea, which Ben Thomas converted to put Porthcawl ahead 12-9 at the break.

The half-time team-talk seemed to work wonders as Porthcawl really turned on the power in the second half.

Within two minutes, Gareth Rees scythed through the midfield for Owen Thomas to get the try, converted by Ben Thomas for 19-9 before another Thomas, Jake this time, produced a barnstorming run for Jordan Skidmore to hand the scoring pass to Gareth Rees, with Ben Thomas converting and suddenly at 26-9, Trimsaran looked shell-shocked.

With 60 minutes gone, the Thomas boys were at it again as Owen produced a great pass to put Jake in for a try converted by Ben and 33-9.

Following a kick ahead to the Trimsaran 22, the visitors tried to run the ball back out of defence, only for the pass to fall into the grateful hands of Gareth Rees, who skipped over unopposed for his second try, converted by Thomas, to make it 40-9.

With the visitors now well-beaten and struggling to keep with the pace of the Porthcawl attack, the try of the match came as a length of the field move started with a superb break from the clever Jack Power, saw the ball handed to Asprea on halfway and he strode away past the covering defence to score a wonderful try at the posts which Ben Thomas converted for 47-9 moving into injury time.

The final nail in the Trimsaran coffin came as Jordan Fox’s forceful break up the left saw the ball reach Asprea who crowned the move with his hat-trick try near the corner, his second hat-trick this season.

This time Thomas’ conversion fell short to bring down the curtain on another great performance from the Seaweeds at 52-9.

This unbeaten season by Porthcawl so far is well-merited and hopefully will continue on Saturday as Neath Athletic visit South Road, with Porthcawl seeking the double.


Add Comment

Article source: http://www.barry-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=117314&headline=Emphatic%20win%20sees%20Seaweeds%20reach%20last%2016%20of%20Bowl§ionIs=sport&searchyear=2017