Former Port Talbot steelworker and builder Andrew Pavlo, 68, died after …

A FORMER steelworker and builder suffered massive head injuries after falling over while getting out of a friend’s pick-up truck and hitting his head on the road, an inquest has heard.

Andrew Pavlo, 68, had been enjoying an evening with friends in Neath Working Men’s Club before being driven into Swansea city centre.

But getting out of the vehicle near Morgans Hotel he fell to the ground, striking his head.

He was rushed to Morriston Hospital, but a scan showed he was suffering from severe swelling in the brain, and experts decided there was nothing that could be done to save him.

Main image for myprint-247

Our heavyweight 350gsm business cards have FREE UV coating, FREE next day delivery VAT included. Choose from 100s of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hr

UK supplier of Business Card Printing, Leaflets, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Posters, Folded Leaflets. 24hr Turnaround

Contact: 01858 468192

Valid until: Sunday, March 31 2013

An inquest into the death of Mr Pavlo, of Redcliffe Grounds, Caswell, heard that he came from a Greek-Cypriot family who had moved to Porthcawl before settling in Sandfields in Port Talbot.

After leaving Sandfields school he worked as a barber, and then went on to be steelworker, a bookmaker, a builder and also ran a garage.

On June 1 last year he went with his fiend Brian Ahlstedt to Neath Working Men’s Club, where he drank three whiskey and lemonades and a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale as he socialised and danced.

Mr Ahlstedt said that that was a normal amount for his friend to drink, and the pair were “jiving on the floor” at the club.

The pair then drove to Swansea intending to visit Wind Street, parking Mr Ahlstedt’s Ford Ranger pick-up in Somerset Place at around 11.30pm.

However the inquest heard that as they got out of the vehicle there was a thumping noise, and Mr Ahlstedt found his friend lying in the road.

Paramedics were called and a semi-conscious Mr Pavlo was rushed to Morriston Hospital, but nothing could be done to save him, and he died the following lunchtime.

Ciaran O’Brien, consultant pathologist at Morriston Hospital, said he found evidence of pneumonia in the lungs of Mr Pavlo and scarring on the muscle of the heart from a previous heart attack.

He also said Mr Pavlo had a thin skull bone, which would have made him more susceptible to head injuries.

He said it was “entirely speculative”, but it was conceivable that Mr Pavlo had suffered a cardiac arrhythmia — a disruption to the normal heartbeat — which could have caused him to temporarily blackout and fall over.

Returning a short narrative verdict, coroner Philip Rodgers said: “Mr Pavlo died from trauma following a fall while suffering from severe natural disease.”

Article source: