Holidaymakers watch on as fire rips through static caravan in Welsh holiday park

Holidaymakers enjoying some Easter sun could only stand and watch as a fire completely destroyed a static caravan.

The fierce blaze broke out at about 7.30pm yesterday evening, Sunday, as families taking a break in South Wales looked on.

It happened at Trecco Bay Holiday Park in Porthcawl, about 30 miles west of Cardiff, reports Wales Online .

Flames ripped through the building while firefighters battled to extinguish them.

Once the fire was out, the caravan and its contents were left in ruins, with what was left of the building collapsed on the floor.

The fire at Trecco Bay Holiday Park
(Image: Kelly/Facebook)

A spokesperson for South Wales Fire Service said it received a call at 7.30pm and two fire engines were at the scene.

Dozens of holidaymakers enjoying the Easter bank holiday weather watched on the fire spread and plumes of black smoke were sent into the air.

Witnesses say a family was staying inside but everybody got out and appear to be unharmed.

 

Kelly, who is staying at the holiday park and asked for her surname not to be used, praised the fire service for their quick response.

She said once the fire began, the caravan was destroyed in minutes.

The fire is believed to have also damaged four other caravans and a nearby car.

The fire at Trecco Bay Holiday Park
(Image: Kelly/Facebook)

Rebecca Probert, who filmed the clip at the top of this story, said that there were two “incredibly loud explosions”.

She said: ” The first one my sister said someone must have thrown an aerosol on a BBQ, then within a minute the second explosion was so loud the ground vibrated under our feet!

“Within seconds it was followed by flames and black smoke, we could see that it was from one of the gas bottles catching fire.

“It took over 15 minutes for the fire brigade to turn up, but the camp site staff was not prepared for this at all. And adults and children were very close to the scene as you can see from the pictures.

“People weren’t moved back until the firemen instructed to do so as there was still a massive risk of other caravans or gas bottles catching alight which caused everyone to panic and move back.

“It was incredibly scary as it happened so fast and horrifying to see this after such an amazing weekend. Never in my life have I ever seen anything like this before.”

 

Article source: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/holidaymakers-watch-fire-rips-through-2783836