Porthcawl complete season’s double over Seven Sisters thanks to Tom Davies’ hat-trick

Monday, 13 January 2020

– Rugby

by Contributed ItemContributed Item

On an afternoon that saw bitter wind and rain combining to ruin any meaningful rugby, Porthcawl set these problems aside to rack up the double at Seven Sisters, whose huge pack seemed more suited to a driving game, but the Seaweeds came away with a 24–0 win.

With returning lock Jack Hurry having a marvellous match, the supply of possession was regular and he received ample support from skipper Leon MacNally and Ben Asprea.

The Seaweeds backs posed problems for the home defence, centre workhorse Sean Wilcox taking much out of the home side with defenders hanging from his frame as he ploughed forward.

Porthcawl attempt to play an expansive style in most conditions and this match was no exception. However, a combination of the home side’s stubborn resistance and the conditions meant that it was some 30 minutes before the deadlock was broken, as a quite outstanding try lit up the drab afternoon.

Left wing Joe Richards wandered over into midfield and latched onto John White’s sublime miss pass which sent the young speedster knifing through the home defence and haring towards the posts. As he faced the last two defenders, he found Louis Protheroe with a great scoring pass and the flanker flew over under the posts to touch down, White’s conversion a fitting improvement to a fine score, making it nil-7.

Having taken all Seven Sisters could muster with half-time approaching, Porthcawl got the second try, despite an injury scare to playmaker Jon Phillips. Porthcawl pressure near the home 22 saw the ball moved smartly right and there was full-back Tom Davies squeezing through the narrowest of gaps to cross at the corner, White’s conversion sliding agonisingly wide and it was nil-12 at half-time.

Early in the second spell, Phillips was forced to retire with Ben Roach coming on at centre to partner Wilcox. This didn’t dim Porthcawl’s adventure however, and as well continuing to move the ball around, they started to get the better of a tiring home eight

The pressure game Porthcawl were now exerting saw Davies notch up his second try, superbly converted off touch by White and at nil-17, the Seaweeds could now go looking for the elusive bonus point and the fourth try.

Prop Jamie Uren retired after giving yet another sound performance, being replaced by Harry Olding and the pressure was now beginning to pay dividends. After one beautifully-controlled drive from a lineout covering fully 40 metres into home territory, flanker Asprea almost broke free, being hauled down just short, as time ebbed away and the fourth try was still to be found.

With the match lurching frustratingly towards full-time, one last flourish of pressure from the Seaweeds’ pack, which had en bloc been outstanding throughout, opened up the opportunity and there was hat-trick hero Davies diving over halfway out for the crucial score, with White’s anticipated conversion securing the extra points and nil-24 at the death.

This result sets up next Saturday’s top-of-the-table clash between Porthcawl and the visiting Aberavon Quins nicely and South Road is sure to see a huge crowd for what could be a defining match for the season to date.

Paul Fielding

Add Comment