Porthcawl RFC rugby news round-up – Glamorgan Gem

Thursday, 4 February 2016

By GEM Community Correspondent

in Rugby

On a bitterly cold afternoon, Porthcawl gained revenge for the early season defeat in the Neath Valley, by winning an entertaining match at South Road on Saturday.

Both sides have seen good and bad patches this season and so evenly matched were they, it took fully 25 minutes for the points to be scored.

With both packs intent on gaining superiority, it would be down to better use of possession to decide the spoils.

Porthcawl tried to play expansive Rugby, contrasting with Cwmgwrach’s more direct approach and when the home backs found a way through a stubborn defence, a scrum close to the visitors’ line produced a great opportunity.

Following a driving maul, flanker Gareth Davies came up with the ball as Porthcawl drove over the line for the unconverted try and 5-0.

As is often the case, this simply spurred the visitors to up their game and it was no surprise as wing Chris Felton grabbed back a try for the visitors as Porthcawl failed to cover within two minutes.

There followed a period of ten minutes of stopped play for injury as Porthcawl wing Joe Muir went down in agony, with what turned out to be a nasty torn ligament injury and the summoning of an ambulance; he could be out for some time.

With the half-time score locked at 5-5, the first score of the second half would be crucial.

As the Porthcawl eight continued to set the platform with a series of drives, scrum-half Connor Rees, nipped through the smallest of gaps to flatfoot the defence and cross for a smart try converted by outside-half Gareth Rees for 12-5.

The visitors, competing and probing through the experienced scrum-half Richard Morris, continued to show dogged resistance and it would take quick ball moved left, for Porthcawl to extend their lead further.

Gareth Rees, always eyeing the opportunity, profited from some great approach play by the home backs with Jake Thomas’ power cutting through to open the defence. Rees strolled over for the try which he also converted and 19-5.

Morris’ continued effort for Cwmgwrach, kept them moving forward in determined fashion and they clawed back a further unconverted try from lock Kev Thomas to narrow the gap to 19-10, yet with Porthcawl still two scores in front.

With time ebbing away, there followed a special moment as the visitors pressed to the home 22, only for man-of-the-match Gareth Rees to snatch the pass out of the air with a timely interception and race away from the chasing cover, to score a glorious 70 metre try, which virtually put the match safe at 24-10 going into injury time.

Cwmgwrach had the last word as tired home legs reached the point of no return and No.8 Jake Smith nabbed a consolation try to end the match at 24-15, pushing Porthcawl to second in the table and a very satisfying afternoon’s work, leaving coach Rhys James well-pleased.

With the Six Nations now upon us, Porthcawl’s next scheduled match is at Vardre on February 20, when another win on the road would consolidate their league position; our second XV play Cefn this Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

Paul Fielding

The youth team were 19-3 winners against Ystradgynlais RFC youth; the under-11s won 5-0 against Bridgend Sports.

Under-10s – Porthcawl 0, BRIDGEND SPORTS 25

Playing at Rest Bay against Bridgend Sports on a coldish, damp wind swept morning was always going to be tough.

The first half we trailed 0-2 and at the end of the second half we lost 0-5.

Bridgend Sports were a well organised side strong in the breakdown and quick to find real width in possession of the ball.

Tackling on the whole was very good which really makes it a shame that we cannot convert that effort into a good platform of attack.

Our defence is quite robust and we were unfortunate on several occasions not to break free and score, but credit has to go to our opponents – they were very well organised in defence and snuffed out our efforts with relative ease.

The passing game is coming, but after this performance we seriously need to do some catching up.

Tackler of the day – Jake Jones; rucker of the day – Corban Ford; passer of the day – Will Thomas-Parker; most valuable player – Rhys Hibbert.

Under-9s – Porthcawl 1, Bridgend Sports 6

After a mix up with pitches we entertained Bridgend but unfortunately our passing and defence was not a patch on last two weeks’ efforts.

This spirit was clear to see in last three minutes with Ben making tackle after tackle and driving them back.

The sticky pitch didn’t help our faster players but it did not stop Piers charge over for our only try of the game.

Dylan came out top tackler with Lex picking up best effort for his tackling display followed by Dewi for similar effort.

As the game went on all of our players got into the groove and Harry was unlucky not to cross in the corner before whistle blew.

The under-8s lost 12 tries to six against Bridgend Sports.

Under-7s – Porthcawl 17, Bridgend Sports 4

The boys once again were superb.

The conditions were awful, but a sticky muddy pitch did not stop the boys playing their normal quick game.

The passing from all boys was great, creating space and scoring some superb tries. Even though the Sports proved tough opposition at times, our organised defence were able to stop them almost constantly.

A special mention goes to Regan, who played his first game – he played very well on his debut and contributed with some tags and tries.

Source Article from http://www.barry-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=102770&headline=Porthcawl%20RFC%20rugby%20news%20round-up&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016