Porthcawl run riot and remain unbeaten

Monday, 6 November 2017

By Contributed Item
in Rugby


A Porthcawl side shorn of its two main playmakers in Jon Phillips and Josh White with long term lay-offs, anticipated a stern test at Lawrence Park, from a Pontycymer side smarting from the heavy Bowl defeat back in October.

That’s exactly as it turned out, at least initially, as the invigorated home side asked all sorts of questions of Porthcawl, with a committed forward display, forcing the Seaweeds to find strength in defence to keep Ponty at bay.

The early home pressure in the Porthcawl 22 told when at a scrum, Pontycymer kicked a penalty to take the lead at 3-nil.

Porthcawl full-back Sam Graham was the first of his team to make a mark as he turned defence into attack with a good break, his smart pass putting Jordan Fox clear only for the covering home defence to snuff out the move.

A typical mighty surge from James Burge-Davies set the platform for Gareth Rees to chase a kick ahead and cross at the corner to get Porthcawl in front at 3-5 and it was Rees’s blistering pace which saw him scorch home two minutes later for a try converted by Ben Thomas for 3-12.

Thomas had a very good match throughout as he stepped into the outside half position as chief playmaker, his intelligent kicking and sound handling keeping Porthcawl on the move.

With the half-time whistle seemingly forgotten by a referee with an apparently absent watch, Jordan Fox shot over for another Porthcawl try, converted by Thomas, as even home supporters shouted comments about it being almost supper time, after a half lasting 64 minutes, the score at 3 points to 19!

The home side were the first to draw blood in the second half with a second penalty for 6-19; however, with the slope to their advantage Porthcawl began to take full control and ran riot with a hatful of tries.

Skipper Richard Hnyda crossed from a quick tap penalty for 6-24 before Rees put Tom Matthews through a gap to cross at the posts, with Thomas converting at 6-31.

Mattie Davies, always a force upfront for Porthcawl, started with an almighty charge, the move continuing 70 metres as substitute flanker Tom Lodwig ended with the try, Thomas adding the extras at 6-36.

With the Seaweeds now running the ball from everywhere, Thomas found Jake Furness in support and his pass to Nick Nutman saw the second-row storm in at the corner for a great try from fully halfway, to make it 6-41.

With Pontycymer now well beaten, two further tries, the first from Jordan Fox from 65 metres out and converted by Thomas, the second again falling to Matthews, again from halfway and Thomas’ conversion racking the total up to 6-55 at the close of play.

So, Porthcawl’s unbeaten season continues with a running style of play but well-placed Bryncoch could provide tough opposition as they visit South Road on Saturday and skipper Richard Hnyda and Coach Rhys James will be under no illusions about the size of the task to maintain that record – it could be a cracker. PF

Add Comment

Article source: http://www.barry-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116733&headline=Porthcawl%20run%20riot%20and%20remain%20unbeaten§ionIs=sport&searchyear=2017