Resolven’s resolve makes Porthcawl work for their win

Wednesday, 27 November 2019

– Rugby

by Contributed ItemContributed Item

A fabulous brace of tries from flanker Ben Asprea in the opening half, paved the way for Porthcawl RFC to climb back into second spot in the division witha 29–15 win against a stubborn Resolven side.

The first came after just five minutes as centre Jon Phillips switched to the left and provided the perfect pass to Asprea, who galloped away to dive over in the corner, his try converted superbly by Josh White for 7-nil.

Not to be outdone, Asprea’s fellow flanker Louis Protheroe, back from injury and superb throughout the match with his winning of turnovers at the breakdown, nabbed the second try just two minutes later after taking a pass from skipper Leon McNally. He sped over, White pushing his kick uncharacteristically wide with Resolven looking shell-shocked at this early salvo.

The visitors did manage to snatch an easy penalty when their forward pressure caught the Seaweeds offside for 12-3 before Asprea found himself in space fully 45 metres out, sliced through a gap and cantered away to score at the posts, without a hand so much as touching him and White’s conversion made it 19-3 on 27 minutes.

Resolven played a typical forward-driving game but they found the home defence somewhat hard to crack and when White knocked over a 22-metre penalty as the home pressure told, it all looked comfortable at 22-3 to end the first half.

Porthcawl continued in the same vein at the start of the second half and with Protheroe ruling the roost at the breakdown, it wasn’t long before pressure turned into points as centre Sean Wilcox capitalised with a strong burst and finish, his try securing the bonus point and White’s extras making it 29-3.

Resolven are a hard Neath valley side though, and they started to get more into the match with some determined forward play and eventually it paid off as they moved down the left and found the extra space required to snatch a try for 29-8.

Phillips left the match with Tom Davies moving to centre, allowing Jack Robbins some game time at scrum-half, followed by Joe Williams taking over from White with 12 minutes left.

The Porthcawl scrum which had been so steady in the first half found itself under pressure going into the closing stages and when Resolven snatched a final converted try for 29-15, it was no more than their efforts deserved.

With Wales playing this weekend, the players get a rest before travelling that long haul to Builth Wells on 07 December for what could be a cracking top four clash.


Add Comment

Article source: