The damage left behind by fire at Trecco Bay Holiday Park

A static caravan has been reduced to ash after a fire at a popular holiday park over the Easter bank holiday weekend.

The caravan has burnt to the ground and others nearby were left damaged after flames broke out at Trecco Bay Holiday Park in Porthcawl on Sunday night.

Dramatic video shows the blaze rip through the building as fightfighters battled to put it out .

Holidaymakers said it took just a few minutes for the fire to engulf the caravan.

The aftermath of the fire at Trecco Bay
(Image: WalesOnline/Anna Lewis)

Staff clearing the area after the fire
(Image: Media Wales)

Carlina Leake was staying at a caravan nearby when she saw smoke coming from the static accommodation in front of her.

The holidaymaker, from Hereford, said: “I saw the smoke first of all and thought it wasn’t normal.

“I was banging on the door [of the caravan] and a man ran up, lent over me, grabbed the suitcases [from inside] and ran.

“I went back, grabbed a fire extinguisher and went to the caravan but the fire was too big.

“It was just a reaction.”

Watch the clear-up operation on Monday


 

On Monday morning a tractor and mini digger were seen on site clearing away the ash from the burned-out base of the caravan.

Crowds gathered to watch the operation near a gift and surf shop and Papa John’s takeaway on the site.

Two caravans on either side of the burned-out caravan had cracked windows and partially melted walls and a caravan opposite had a boarded up window.

The fire at Trecco Bay

The fire at Trecco Bay on Sunday
(Image: Rebecca Probert)

 

One woman said: “The kids were hysterical. The six of them slept in with me in the front room [furthest from the fire] last night”.

“I was just worried about the gas.”

Speaking last night, witnesses said a family was staying inside but that nobody appeared to be harmed.

A tractor clearing the debris
(Image: Anna Lewis)

 

Rebecca Probert, who caught footage of the fire on video, said there were two “incredibly loud explosions”.

She said: “The first one my sister said someone must have thrown an aerosol on a BBQ, then within a minute the second explosion was so loud the ground vibrated under our feet.

“Within seconds it was followed by flames and black smoke. We could see that it was from one of the gas bottles catching fire.”

A spokesperson for South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it received a call at 7.30pm and two fire engines were at the scene.

Parkdean Resorts has been contacted for comment.

Article source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/trecco-bay-fire-caravan-holiday-16163701