Clock’s running down on fire station consultation

Time is running out for residents to register their concerns over plans to close two fire stations.

Kenfig Hill and Porthcawl would shut under the Chief Fire Officer’s efficiency plan.

They would be replaced by a new station in South Cornelly, but critics argue it would take fire engines longer to reach emergencies, firefighters’ workloads would rise and lives could be lost.

Pyle ward councillor Luke Ellis wants as many people as possible to take part in the Fire Cover Review consultation, which is due to end at the start of September.

The consultation responses will be reported to the Fire and Rescue Authority on September 23, when members will decide how to proceed.

Coun Ellis, said: “I’m keeping an open mind about the future delivery of fire and rescue services covering Kenfig Hill and will read the outcome of the consultation very carefully.

“Many constituents have been in touch with me and I will be reflecting their concerns along with my own questions in my submission to the fire cover review.

“The Chief Fire Officer for South Wales provided an informative presentation to councillors in the chamber recently and so I have an understanding of the need to look at changing trends.

“My primary concerns about the proposed new structure are about the retention of skilled fire and rescue staff, the fact that Pyle has suffered arson attacks on the industrial complex over the last year, as well as the need for rapid response to any unforeseen incident which may require rescue operations at the abandoned opencast site.”

Porthcawl Town Council has officially objected to the proposals and a petition organised by firefighters has gathered 6,500 signatures.

Chief Fire Officer Huw Jakeway said the review proposes changes that will put the right level of cover in place at the right time.

Article source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/deadline-approaching-kenfig-hill-porthcawl-5801344